Sunday, March 21, 2010

SELF-FEED All The Way

Eugene, at 20 months, is finally able to self-feed from start to finish.

From previous attempts, he will spoon only a few spoonfuls and then lose concentration.

But for the past few days, he had been feeding himself from start to finish! He was able to concentrate and he didn't leave much of a mess.

I was already mentally prepared to wipe the floor, the high-chair, wipe Eugene but he did not create much mess. I guess when he was spooning the food into his mouth, his mouth was above the bowl and any food just drip back into the bowl.

So today, as usual I passed him his bowl of porridge for his lunch. He enthusiastically quickly climbed up his high-chair, slid his legs through the seat-belt and buckle himself (yes! he knows how to buckle up!).

He took one look at the porridge and he just starts to swirl his spoon in it.

Me : Eugene, eat your lunch

Eugene took a spoonful of it.

Me : Eugene, take more

Eugene took another spoonful and started to swirl his spoon in the bowl again.

He looked up at me : buk, buk (book, book)

Me. You want to look at some books?

Eugene : yeh (yes)

Me : so mommy will feed you ?

Eugene nodded his head.


**sigh**  does this mean he's no longer interested in feeding himself? Actually, I think he's bored with the porridge.

I do change the ingredients that goes into the porridge but I guess it is so boring having porridge most days and also unappetising looking at the gooey mush - I would be too.

So for dinner, he had minced beef with button mushroom spaghettis (made by hubby) and yes, he happily finished it up. He took such big spoonfuls that I had to stop him (scared he might choke) and told him to take smaller spoonfuls.



Steady, here I go !



Think I got something stuck in my teeth





Almost finish!





My MIL bought for Eugene a set of curved fork and spoon which is supposed to help a child eat easier. I did not give Eugene the curved fork to try because Eugene is pretty good with his fork already.

And yes, Eugene do find this curved spoon easier to manage than the tea-spoon that I usually give him to eat with.




So now, I have to crack my brain and come up with some new tasty and visually pleasing to the eye dishes - aiyoh, so headache.......

Anybody got some recipes which are fast and easy to cook up for a toddler?



*

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails