Tuesday, April 20, 2010

'contd - So Angry with Edufarm StarTots PlayCentre

Hubby and I had decided to pull Eugene out from the playcentre.

The person who took down my complaint called me back and told me that procedures for releasing the children to their minders will be put in place - that is - the kids will have to sit down and will be called when their minder  has arrive to fetch them, instead of all the kids rushing and gathering at the gate. Er... isn't this common sense?

I had said and hinted before (as I don't want to come across as being arrogant and telling the teacher how to do her job) that the gate should be locked and the children be released one by one, but it seemed to have fallen on deaf ears.

It is for this reason that I always go the playcentre early. Except today, where actually I was not late, I was on the dot, but the teacher had already started releasing the kids. I don't mind if the kids are released early but please, keep the kids safe.

If any of the kids had run out without the teacher and her assistant knowing, at least when they had closed the gate and looked at the remaining children, they should know if any are missing. But the fact is that : the teacher and the assistant are not aware if a kid is missing at all - this is the part which I'm really upset about.

Can you imagine if the kid has ran out and the teacher is not aware and if the parent/grandparent/ maid/minder is late for even 10mins, no let's make it just 5mins, the child would have been outside the centre all alone during those time.

Note that this is a playgroup that accepts children from 18months to 3 years. And the kids at this playcentre where Eugene is attending - the average age group is about 2 years plus only.

Note also that there is also a side road just next to the playcentre, a kid could have easily, easily wandered onto the road.

Also what if somebody just carried the kid away?


Even though the person whom I had complained to asked me to give another chance for the teacher to perform but I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm not saying that the teacher and assistant is a bad teacher/assistant or are bad person. They are cheery and bubbly and the children likes them but not knowing if the children in your charge is missing is just too scary for me. It goes to show that they are, how should I put it, the correct word, it shows that they are not 'aware', they are not diligent and vigilant in taking care of the kids under their charge.

I guess I'm also at fault. I should have been more vocal and assertive to the teacher since it is an important issue. Thank goodness, nothing happened to Eugene.

Sorry Eugene, mommy from now on,  will not be embarrassed or not have the courage to raise an issue if it will have or might lead to a negative impact on you.

(Note : the pics of the teacher on Day 1 and Day 2 is not the teacher who is negligent.)

Day 1 
Day 2
Day 4
So Angry

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I am Prakash from India. I just enrolled my son in July. From your photo, I can tell that it is the same classroom which my son is attending now. The teachers are very careful in dismissing children because now they only allow parents to ask questions after all children have been dismissed. At first, I don't understand why we can only ask questions after all children have been dismissed. I have to wait for at least 5 minutes before I can ask questions about my child or other things. But now I understand that it is for the children's safety after reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Prakash, I am glad that the management have taken my complaint seriously. I certainly do not want the same incident to happen again to another child.
    Let me know if you need any information pertaining to your son's schooling etc and if I know the information, I can advise you. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. which location was the class

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there.. Which centre were u referin to? Im goin to enrol my child in their playgroup. I undrstd ur part s Im a former teacher myslf.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails