Friday, August 19, 2011

Holding A Pencil Correctly


Eugene came home and said he wanted to draw. Yes, sure and he went to take his colouring book and his container of colour pencils.

Then I noticed it. He's holding the pencil the correct way! Yay!

I had tried teaching Eugene to hold the pencil correctly (see here) but most of the time, he will still hold it the "fist-grip" way. I've never really insisted that he had to hold it the correct way as I do not want to put him off holding a pencil.

So, really, this came as a surprise to me.




He can grip the pencil properly but he tends to try to draw/write without resting his hand on the table for support. 

So he's using his arm to move the pencil instead of his fingers and thus cannot control the pencil properly - though sometimes he do rest his hand on the table for more support.








Me : are you going to write alphabets?

Eugene : no, I'm drawing shapes


So here're his attempts at drawing circles and triangles.




Hmm.. he just wants to draw inside those margins and not anywhere else on the page - don't know why.

I'll teach him to use a ruler to draw straight line so that he can draw inside - waste so many pages like this right?








I checked with his teacher and she confirmed that she's been teaching the kids the correct way of holding a pencil.

And the teacher has been also teaching the kids the correct grammar to use. And I was again surprised that Eugene was able to use the past tense in a sentence appropriate to the situation.




2 comments:

  1. I like the way he holds it. I think it's a great achievement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dreamycat (i like this nickname of yours), thanks. He has a very good teacher.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails