Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pesto Sauce


Simple and fast to make and oh, so shiok !

I love pesto sauce but the ones selling at the supermarket, I feel, are rather expensive considering the ingredients.

I am very lucky that I have this vegetable seller at my wet market who brings in basil and other stuff like mint leaves. A whole big bunch cost, maybe like $2-3 instead of the small boxes sold in the supermarket with too few leaves. I understand that there are basil leaves being sold at the Tekka market but it's too far for me.

I am also lucky that there is a spice/nut wholeseller shop (don't know what to call it) near my place where I could get pine nuts, walnuts, all kind of beans etc.

Recipe taken from "Pasta Cookbook"  - but frankly, I just guesstimate :) More nuts, less nuts, more basil, more cheese, all up to your taste.


Pesto Sauce
Serves : 4-6

1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cups basil leaves
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (I use the ready grated packet ones)
2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese (optional)
1/2 cup olive oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
black pepper, to taste

1. Add pine nuts to a pan and stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Cool.

2. Place pine nuts, basil leaves, garlic and salt in food processor and process for 10 seconds. Scrape down sides of the bowl.

3. Add cheeses, process for 10 seconds. With motor running, gradually add oil until a paste is formed. Add pepper.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails