Monday, April 15, 2013

Swimming 1 - First swimming lesson

13 April 2013


Eugene had taken swimming lessons before but after 3 months of lessons, he still did not get over his fear of water and just didn't like going for lessons.

I attribute this to the swimming coach.

Firstly, the coach talked so soft that even I have a hard time trying to make out what he's saying.

Secondly, I feel that the coach did not make an attempt to bond with the kids. Yes, his technique of swimming is good but what's the point if the kids don't trust you or don't like you.

So we stopped his swimming.



When the SAFRA Toa Payoh opened and there is a swim school, I immediately signed Eugene up for it.

 On the 1st lesson, I can see that Eugene was a bit apprehensive.

The kids were sitting on the edge of the pool and the coach was carrying the kids individually into the water. No underwater or anything like that, just dipping the kids to let them get used to be in the water.

I saw Eugene took one leg out of the water, then 2 legs out and then slowly turning his body sideways (like he want to run away). When it came to his turn, he started crying! Oh dear ! The coach consoled him and did not dip him in the water but put him back sitting on the edge of the pool.

I didn't carry on to see the rest of the lesson so I don't know what happened next.

Oh oh dear. I was prepared that if he has to repeat his basic swimming lessons, so be it. I rather he do it in his own time and not to push him as it might have the opposite effect that he would just hate swimming.

After the lessons, we stayed on to just play in the pool. To my surprise, Eugene wanted to jump into the waters. He told me to 'catch' him(carry him out of the water). He kept jumping and jumping that I have to ask hubby to take over.

Then he said, mommy look at this. What did he do? He held onto the edge of the pool and dipped his head underwater! Wah! that's a first.

See now what happens after just his 2nd swimming lessons.



The children have to do warm-up followed by a quick shower before going to their respective swimming coaches.




 Eugene wasn't really doing the warming up exercises. He said the sun was too glary.




 Start of lesson and absolutely enjoying himself.




Here I come !
He jumped into the water before hubby grabbed him out of the water.


Change your youtube quality setting to HQ (on bottom right corner after you press the play icon), as it seemed to auto the quality at 360p which is rather blurry.



Playing around with daddy after his swimming lessons.




I am so happy and proud of the kid.

From a water-phobic kid to a water-loving kid in just two lessons is just absolutely awesome 'cos the kid was really scared of water - he's even scared of the water running down his face in the shower.

Again, I attribute this to the fantastic job that his current coach is doing.

Eugene said that he likes his present coach but not the previous one. And I think liking your coach and trusting him goes a long way in getting a kid to swim.


Thanks Coach Edmund !


And which swim school is this ? It's 'The Fins Swim School'.


Jia You Eugene ! 


Looks like the kid will master his swimming way before me. Yes lah, I cannot swim! I almost drowned and that was it, really phobia.

But I am trying to now, slowly.... slowly ........ overcome my fear.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails