Monday, December 01, 2008

Hamster Drama 2

How to tell your hamster is getting old? - by his ears. If his ears are getting dark, it means he's getting on in years.

Bob's ears was turning kind of blackish around the rim of his ears and it was expected as he has been with us for about 1 and half years and hamster's life expectancy is about 2-3 years.

So I was not surprised that his ear was turning dark. But after the falling into the drainage pipes episode - his ears turned even more black and was dry and crusty (i touched his ears) which I think was due to the soapy water he was soaked in.

So I was looking into his cage to see how his ears are and I saw only 1 black ear.

OMG!!!!! his the other ear dropped off??????????

I kept looking for the other ear and I saw a big hole at the side of his head - yeeeek! his ear really dropped off and left a big hole?????

I looked closer and there is a flap, not just a gaping hold. I think he's grown a new ear!!!!!!

But it looked kind of big compared to his original ear. Hubby said that it's most probably the same ear, just that the black crust had dropped off and that the ear is that size - just that his fur covered the ear before and so it looked small.

You be the judge of it........... I still think he grew a new ear........



see his normal left ear which is kind of tapered? It is still dry and crusty.




see his new right ear? - it looked much rounder and bigger like a funnel.



I wonder if his left ear is going to drop off too.

Bob is back to his normal self and wanting to run around.

I noticed that when I handle or touch him now, he is not so unwilling anymore - I guess he know that we 'sayang' him as we had saved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails